Thursday, September 16, 2010

I like to thank the lifeguard

I like to thank the lifeguard when I am done swimming laps.  Without her or him, I would not have that gift of safe keeping.  Without the gratitude I would tend to take the vigilance for granted and add to the isolation of the job.
I like to be grateful for the opposing team of a game played or watched.  Without them there would be no game at all – no opportunity to play – no way to improve team skills.  Without the gratitude I could take myself or the outcome way too seriously, projecting the “opposition” as adversaries beyond the exercise.
I like to share a gratitude for my husband in some way each morning and to hear his gratitude for me.  Any observation is welcome with no judgment or expectation.  This discipline of gratitude helps the flow of our days, we’ve found, for negative dramas thrive when gratitude is scarce.
Meister Eckhart gave the gift of his offering that “if the only prayer you ever say in your life is thank you, it will be enough.”
Try it.  Write a thank you note.  Discern a gratitude.  For it can be found anywhere, anyhow, any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment