Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Venture of Truth

There are times when we know we must come to an awareness of things.  These are not necessarily easy times, in fact, they rarely are, when we come to a place of knowing from which there is no return, when we break out of  “what was” to a new world before us.

Births are dramatic, they include pain and fear, they include wonder and worry, they include expansion and holding on for dear life.

When we open our lives to the new, to what will transform us or deepen us, we face an unknown that can be quite lonely, quite unnerving.

We need witness, someone or something that tells us we are welcome in this new way – someone or something that tells us we are what we’ve been waiting for – someone or something to tell us that we are not alone and that the continued journey will be met with unexpected abundance from far off places -- new things will appear and be made known to us.

This is the venture of truth.  This is the gift of life.

1 comment:

  1. Is each new awareness of some truth, large or small, a kind of bitrh? Yes, I think so. A way in which life is forever new.

    I have spoken to friends of how in the past year I lost weight intending to stabalize my blood pressure and to make it easier just to move myself about. Both those goals accomplished, I discovered I'd had a secret-even-from-me goal of being fifty and HEALTHY!! Accent, you see, on the healthy.

    Recognizing the truth of holding that secret, unreachable goal has opened the path to just breathing in, and living more joyfully in, the truth of exactly what is. Healthy at fifty was never the path of my particular life.

    But happy at sixty-five, and free, and not alone on the continuing journey-- ah, these are truths, too, and they have unfolded in the clear-eyed presene of those who share this journey with me. My friends who laugh at the overt ridiculousness of my secret desire and who simultaneously support me in knowing and share the feeling of the bitter-sweet resonance of that hidden desire, and the need to let go of what can never be. Thus my friends stand witness, venture truth with me, and give me the best gift: life discovered, shared, affirmed, and daily made new.

    ReplyDelete